The Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking for a part-time Tutor who will be responsible for assisting high-risk teenagers in the area of homework assistance and improved literacy, math, science, and humanities. The tutor needs to be able to engage academically disconnected youth.
You must submit both resume and cover letter detailing what high school subjects you can proficiently tutor (submissions without cover letters will not be considered).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Model and uphold all Agency rules.
- Meet with Youth Link caseworkers to discuss youths academic progress or difficulties as well as behavioral issues that may affect learning.
- Provide individual tutoring. Small group tutoring may also be required.
- Develop creative and innovative subject curriculum for struggling and disillusioned students.
- Conduct school visits for youth engaged in tutoring (not required at all sites).
- Present ideas and suggestions for improving programs as often as possible. When presenting a problem or offering constructive criticism, also offer an alternate solution.
- Build positive relationships with youth and staff and serve as a role model with respect to demeanor, communication, and behavior.
- Create stimulating lessons or activities that enhance grade-appropriate learning.
- Respond to requests from Senior Management Staff.
- Observe and document youth who appear to have weaknesses in academic areas.
- Respond to any requests the Youth Link counselor may provide with regard to the educational needs of a youth.
- Submit weekly, monthly, written and verbal reports as requested.
- Attend staff meetings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Ability to work with high-risk teenagers from diverse backgrounds.
- Prior tutoring experience with the high school curriculum.
- Some college work, Minimum Associates Degree preferred.
- Must be responsible and organized with strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must demonstrate the ability to develop lesson plans.
- Must be a team player.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don t contact this job poster.
The Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Associated topics: after school, chess, dancing, driving school, extracurricular, gardening, paint, shooting, sierra club, violin