The Police Athletic League (PAL) is the largest independent youth organization in New York City that provides educational and recreational activities for children and young adults. PAL Inc. and The New York City Police Department work in partnership to provide communities with summer and after-school recreational and educational activities.
We are looking fora part-time Sports Specialist who will be responsible for developing a broad range of sports recreation activities that promote fitness, creativity, self-expression, teamwork, discipline, commitment, and fun learning. In consultation with the Center Director and Physical Education Specialist, plan, organize and manage related programs, staff, and volunteers, and perform administrative duties that support and facilitate the above primary functions.
This position is available at MS 118 - Bronx
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Model and uphold all Agency policies and procedures.
- Ensure that age-appropriate activities are implemented for youth in K-8th grades.
- Plan, organize and oversee varied activities with the support of Center leadership staff, Group Leaders, volunteers, and other specialty staff.
- At all times, ensure safety, structure, and learning. Work with the Physical Education Specialist to ensure activities align to NYS Education Standards and support the goals of the school's participants attend.
- Promote and stimulate interest and participation in all performing arts activities.
- Provide ideas and suggestions to the Physical Education Specialist and Center Director for improving programs as often as possible. When presenting a problem or offering constructive criticism, also present an alternative solution.
- Build positive relationships with youth and adults and serve as a role model with respect to demeanor, communication, and behavior.
- Provide direction to staff in a manner that ensures that program areas are neat and clean and that equipment and supplies are managed appropriately.
- Quickly identify and seek to resolve conflicts and behavioral problems in consultation with the program coordinator.
- Plan and post activity schedules and evidence of work in approved areas.
- Make periodic reports/announcements on program activities and evaluate participation, progress, and development of program youth.
- Responsible for the inventory, ordering, care, and maintenance of all related supplies and equipment.
- File incident reports (accidents, injuries, altercations) no later than the day of the incident.
- When directed, attend meetings with staff, parents, volunteers and community residents as needed to assist in program delivery and promotion of programs.
- Interact with parents and keep open lines of communication to better understand and manage the children.
- A minimum of an Associate Degree or two years of coursework towards a degree in Physical Education, Nutrition, Recreation, Exercise Science or a related field.
- A minimum of two years of work experience in a non-profit youth or social service agency with supervisory experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience working with youth in elementary or middle school.
- Demonstrated skills and competency as an instructor and artist.
- Understanding of conflict resolution, mediation, and mentoring concepts.
- Good communication skills, both oral and written. Ability to speak professionally to staff, members, parents, groups and community residents.
- Familiarity with office protocols involving dress, demeanor, record keeping, confidentiality, staff meetings, visitors, and employee use of supplies and equipment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
No calls, please. External recruiters and agents, please don t contact this job poster.
Police Athletic League seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at PAL are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Associated topics: design intern, entry level sports marketing, intern, internship, market, promotions, public relations, revenue, sales, sports marketing